



槟城柑仔园路 Dato Keramat Road, Penang
华严寺
Wah Yeam Si Temple
1945年 成立
1998年 修复
工程照



华严寺于1945年日本南侵和平后建立,1947年竣工,它位于槟岛的柑仔园路,为闽南式佛寺,正殿为五开间,殿前作牌楼面,不带拜亭。牌楼面上的三幅屋顶皆为断檐升箭口,并依据明、次、梢间的尊卑关系作不同高低层次的处理。明间的屋面最宽,曲面最明显,与次间的屋顶作上下断檐。明间上檐的中脊饰双龙戏珠,角脊饰卷草,脊堵可见生动的西游记人物剪黏。明间的屋檐下亦可见连拱、弯枋、斗抱、吊筒等梁枋结构。次间下檐则饰八仙庆寿,左右各置四座人物。靠外的梢间较窄,乍看下更为复杂。梢间上檐作燕尾中脊,脊上饰鳌鱼,规带尾端饰四大天王。主殿的屋顶亦延续了牌楼面屋顶的风格,燕尾中脊上饰于行龙和坐龙,与牌楼面相呼应。华严寺于1998年委托文思古建公司重修大殿,项目包括全面屋顶瓦作、剪粘灰塑脊饰、墙面灰作和彩绘。
Wah Yeam Si Temple at Dato Keramat Road. It was built in 1945 and completed in 1947. The temple has a Hokkien-style architecture. Its main hall is defined into five bays, while an archway directly fronts the main hall as a facade. The archway was given three sets of roofs of varying heights to clarify their hierarchy. The central roof is the widest and the most extravagant of all. It rises above the adjacent roofs to announce its prominence decorated with a scene of ‘Journey to the West’. At the intermediate side bays, figurines of The Eight Immortals adorn the roofs. Finally, the outermost side bays are the narrowest but the most intricate, decorated with ao yu, carps and figurines of The Four Heavenly Kings on the roof ridges. The roof of the inner main hall continues the style of that of the archway facade: ‘swallow tail’ ridges with dragons of various poses. Wensi Heritage was appointed for the restoration work of Wah Yeam Si in the year of 1998. Scope of works included roof tiling works, porcelain shard sculptural works, wall plastering works and decorative paintworks.